Friday, April 11, 2008

The Man in Choa Chu Kang

I must admit i am not the nicest person in the world.

But I am honest. Honestly!

And that was what was going through my mind when I was going to buy my pie at Pie Kia in Choa Chu Kang. If you are a frequent visitor of Choa Chu Kang MRT station, around 4:45 - 5:30 you will see a blind busker playing an electric guitar with a backing track. Oh, and you will also realise he will play the lambada over and over again (probably his only repertoire).

This really struck me. Is his (i must apologise to those who take offence) meagre repertoire going to sustain himself? I know the world can be cruel. It takes sides. It favours those who are perfect in every manner. It ditches aside those who cannot cope. And these people are the ones who are more self-sustaining, much more content than most people are. They can be alright wearing last season's clothes. They are ok taking a crowded bus or train to home or work. They are fine with hand-me-downs. These are probably things that we fortunate ones detest, because they are "out-of-date", "old fashioned" or probably "inconvenient". We often take things for granted.

What is the world coming to?

We all know that there are more than enough food for every human being on the planet. Yet there are still people out there dying of hunger simply because food is difficult to come by. Instead, we see powerful nations sending people to space (no, i'm not saying it is wrong though. Astronomy is a fine discipline to explore into) when the millions and millions of dollars can be used to feed people around the world. Also, the more common topic, the investment in nuclear weapons. Countries such as the USA are always on nuclear talks to Iran and North Korea (actually it's like a pot calling a kettle black-- The USA also have nuclear weapons too). What is the point on spending on warfare when people are still suffering around the world. Is it not a waste of time?

What is the world coming to?

Back to the busker. I was done buying my pie. He was playing a much more embellished version of the Lambada. Somehow I knew what notes he was going to play next. And I walked over and dropped a dollar into his collections.














Just a word to note: Pie Kia's Pie Seh, Pie Kia and Toa Pie Kia are very popular in Choa Chu Kang/Bukit Panjang youths. Their Pie Seh is awesome--at prices of $1.20-$1.30

P.S. When I first saw this shop, my first thought was "What is the world coming to?" ...

No comments: