Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Let's Talk About: Euthanasia

This is another fairly eye-opening topic which I intend to discuss today.
Euthanasia is the act of mercy-killing to patients who are terminally ill. This issue has been stirring up a storm of controversy lately, and still no definitive answer as to it's extent of acceptability has been brought up. It is, of course, a highly subjective topic and I do welcome comments on this post but please, no inflaming comments please :)

Why euthanasia is acceptable:


  • It relieves the terminally-ill patient of further suffering.

  • It is more economical if you look in the healthcare system's point of view: More space in hospitals to treat other patients, resources can be used on other patients, etc.

Why euthanasia is not acceptable:

  • It is easily viewed as a crime against life and suicide in most religions.

  • It is morally wrong.

  • The medical professionals have the duty of sustaining a patient until he/she dies naturally.

  • Family members would want to spend as much time possible with the dying patient.

In my point of view, euthanasia is actually acceptable as long as it is consented by a mentally-fit patient himself. It is unfair to make decisions upon a mentally fit patient who, technically speaking, is the only one who knows the suffering he/she is going through.

However, if I would unfortunately be in the patients position (which I hope i won't be), I wouldn't end my life with euthanasia, but I would stop taking my medicine, because in my religion it is morally wrong to know your time of death. At least refusing medicine still keeps your time of death uncertain.

That's my point of view. What's yours?


No comments: