Sunday, February 15, 2009

Speak Better Singlish Part 2

LESSON FOCUS

  • usage of the particles "leh"
  • expressing the past participle
  • sentence structure in Singlish

1. Usage of "leh".

This two particles are always misused by ang mohs [ang MOR] (Westerners), if ever used at all. The particle "leh" is used when implying that the listener should not try to make things difficult to the listener or trying to make the spaekers point more concrete, as opposed to "lah" where it convinces the listener to do something asked by the speaker.

Compare these sentences.

A. That one very cheap, leh.

B. That one very cheap, lah.

Both the above sentences imply that the item referred to (that one) is cheap, but sentence B is more of a convincing tone, as compared to sentence A.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Expressing the past participle

Singlish is similar to German in the sense that the past tense is alwys a participle, thus having no need to conjugate the verb any further.

There are two ways to express the past participle:

  1. Use of the particle "liao" (LIAU)
  2. Use of "orredy" (from English: already)

Normally, "liao" is used when there is only one verb in the sentence and that sentence can NEVER be a question. "Liao" is ALWAYS placed at the back of the sentence. After use of "liao", the verb NEED NOT be in the past tense.

Example (pronounced act-ZAM-PER in Singlish)

1. I talk to him liao. (I have talked to him)

2. I finish my homework liao. (I have finished my homework)

"Liao" can also also describe past actions without indicating a past participle.

"The dog bite me, liao" (The dog bit me)

"Orredy" is used when the particle "got" is used, or when the sentence involves a question. It is considered to be more formal than "liao". As such, "orredy" can replace "liao" but never the other way round, except when "liao" does not indicate a past participle.

Example

1. You finish your homework orredy? (Have you finished your homework?) [NOTE: It is wrong to say, "You finish your haomework, liao?"

2. I got wash my hands orredy. (I have washed my hands)

In an infinitive (to .....) is used after "got", it is ok to use "liao".

1. I got to finish my homework liao.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sentence structure in Singlish.

Singlish is a strictly SVO (Subject-Verb-Object) language. The focus of the sentence is normally placed at the front. Observe the following sentences:

A. I finish my homework orredy.

B. I orredy finish my homework.

Sentence A focuses on the subject finishing his HOMEWORK whereas sentence b focuses on the SUBJECT finishing his homework.

If in the occasion where the focus is to be the object, the particle "one" (WAHN) is used.

A. He hit me.

B. He hit me one.

Sentence A shows that HE hit me whereas sentence B shows that he hit ME.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that i'm done with the bare basic grammar, we can move on to more cultural stuff from next lesson onwards!

I got to zao now liao.

No comments: